Friday, July 3, 2009

Ugh...I'm SOOO SORE!

So last night's workout was a beast! I mean an absolute killer! But certainly one that reminds you why you work so hard. Around repeat 7 at 5:13 pace, fatigue really started to set in and it was a great humble to check to know that elite runners run 5:13's like it's nothing. That my definition of hard is someone's 'easy pace' is more than enough motivation to keep me going. I think the key to achieving high paces like that adaptation.

My heart rate is one of the metrics i have of adaptation. I'm constantly running in zone 1 of my heart rate around 170-180 which is essentially race pace. But I know I'm starting to adapt because my 5:13 pace is at 175 whereas my 5:50/5:40 pace is 155-160. I assure you, one month ago, my 5:50 pace was at the 170 range.

I woke up this morning energized however and went for a short, 10-mile bike ride. This afternoon will be a quick 3 mile run and then a chest workout. Tomorrow I'll run a half marathon. I've already envisioned the split times. I'm going to shoot for the following:
Mile 1) 6min
Mile 2) 6min
Mile 3) 6min
Mile 4) 6min
Mile 5) 6min
Mile 6) 6min <-------------(I want to hit 36 or there about on the race at the 6 minute mark)
Mile 7) 5:50
Mile 8) 5:50
Mile 9) 5:40
Mile 10) 5:40
Mile 11) 5:30
Mile 12) 5:25
Mile 13) 5:15

I think the workout begins in earnest around mile 9 yeah? MIle 12 and 13 I'm looking forward tot he most. I know my legs will fail me somewhere between these two miles.
So I got some raw vegan granola from one of my sponsors and it will be the death of me! It's so incredibly good! Pineapple,Cashew, Macadamia Nut rawnola. Wow. You could sprinkle this stuff on cardboard and I'd probably eat it! =)

I hope for those of us that have today off we take a moment and reflect on that which we are grateful for. I for one am extremely grateful for my family and their loving support. I'm only as good as you guys. Aloha!

1 comment:

  1. You run a smarter race than me. I have much difficulty running slower at the beginning. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete