Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sweet Ride today


So I usually take Sundays off from heavy running since I'll be doing heavy biking.  Today, I rode 70 miles, of which, 60 was with the new team I'm apart of, Team TradeWinds Hawaii.  A good group of guys all with tons of time on the bike, far greater and more experienced than myself.  I guess, the only thing I'm good for is climbing hills which is where I gain all the ground back.  I swear some guys are so deceptively fast on the bike too!

I had fun but it's clear that to be pro / semi-pro at biking you've got to put in the time.  And that my friends, is something that is in short supply for me.  So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to get in some bike work every morning (I do this already) but a longer ride with a faster pace.  IN addition to my bikes, my training will start to ramp up.  I've got 3 weeks until the SFM which pretty much means 2 more weeks of intense training before I taper off.  Before then, I'll run 2 10-milers at a fast pace and 2 more practice half-marathons.  It's an ambitious schedule but like my good friend Scott Spitz, I'm going to start logging everything along with my training and my food intake.  It will keep me on the straight and narrow because it gets serious starting tomorrow (as if it was not!). 

Today, I climbed a category 1 hill that was 18-20% on the bike which if you know about climbing, is no slouching matter.  What's crazy is I did this with the big gear in the front and at one point, had I not switched to the small gear, i would have fallen! It was such a steep climb but one that got me all hot and bothered about doing it again.  Such is the state of my life...hills and intense runs stimulate me. Sigh. 

Well, I've got a big day tomorrow and for the rest of the week.  Hope you all had a wonderful fourth and a restful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to log on the site? or just for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I plan on logging on the site just like you man. You inspire me bigtime and so I thought I'd follow in the footsteps. Humbly taking notes in Hawaii,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have a big two weeks ahead of you. Add oil!

    ReplyDelete