Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Love Relationships...

Okay, so Emily Tam is going to kill me if she ever reads this post (which I know she will) but in short, I'm in a three way love fest. I'm in love with my Specialized S-Works Roubaix bike, my Nike LunaRacer shoes and Ms. Tam Ka Yi. My dilemma is as an overprotective male, I know that when I'm with my bike, my running shoes are idle and vice versa.

Lately though, I've been waking up a bit later then when I'd like to so my bike riding time has been cut significantly short (!). But Saturday I'm looking forward to my ride. I'll probably go around25 miles easy and then turn around and ride bike. Sunday will be a 60 miler which I can't wait. And that's the weird part, I've really looked forward to my biking and my hard running workouts. However, the boring running workouts are definitely things I dread. Yuck.

Yesterday, my coach reminded me of my mortality and how young I am in the game of running. I know I want to be good and elite in running. I also want to be elite in cycling and right now, I'm on the fence about which one I like best. Ahhh, such a dilemma! Such is the case when you're young at heart! Tonite will be an intense run and these are the ones I love. Why? Because long about mile 5, my body says 'Stop' but my mind says 'Keep going, you can push harder'. This is when I really dig deep and ask questions. All runners know this. It's a point when you question your toughness and your ability to run through long bouts of pain. It's thankless because no one is cheering you on, no one really cares...except YOU. When I'm doing my track workout, no one can see me. No one gives a crap if I run a 5:10 or 5 minutes flat. To everyone else, I'm just some lunatic on a track running in spandex tights. To me, it's the world. It's carrying the load for many that look up to me for inspiration along the journey. I happily accept this responsibility and will continue to knock it out in my training.

'The man sees the mountain...the mountain sees the man.'
-Old proverb

4 comments:

  1. hey hey, glad to see you have a blog. I've marked it and check back frequently. Man, you werne't kidding about your workout. You are on it man, and 11 sponsors....so soon! That's awesome! looking forward to hearing about your running exploits.

    -scott (runvegan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks man! I appreciate the comment. In fact, it was YOUR blog that inspired this blog along with the help from a friend.

    I think you and I will feed off the other's energy and I'm looking forward to hearing your results. You inspire me man, never forget that! I only hope to make it one day to Chicago and be able to run with you! Any fat chance you'd run the Honolulu marathon???

    Let's do this man, two vegans vs. the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey alex,

    Thanks for the good words...but inspiration works best both ways! I'd be all about running Honolulu with you, but I should probably come through Chicago unscathed first. :) Ok, screaming toddler in the background...gotta go!

    -scott

    ReplyDelete