Monday, July 27, 2009

Daily Log 7/27/09 - +1 day



A third place finish makes me worthy of a Cafe Gratitude raw vegan pizza. I wolfed it down as you can see without reservation. Look at how INTENSE I am compared to Emily. I mean, it's just a no-brainer who likes to eat more!  In truth, it's her, she eats a house and is still beautiful as ever. 

Wow, it's just now starting to sink in. At my gym, people were going up and congratulating me...very unexpected and once again, surreal.  What I can safely say is that my legs felt rested this morning....and then I went cycling and afterwards, POW, soreness came on big time. Either I need to tone down my cycling somehow while still getting in workouts or have intense runs 3 days out of the week and not run the other 4.  The latter is unlikely as I cannot go that many days without running - it would totally kill me! Well, that's not true, Emily would take care of that first ;-)

I was totally sore but it felt good knowing that I acquitted myself well on the field.  There is no finer feeling than knowing that I tried my hardest on something and came up with a decent result.  However, along with this result comes higher expectations but I know that from here, it gets harder to race faster and multi-train.  

The next two months look like absolute hell to try and get through. I'll basically taper up this week and begin honest workouts next week for roughly three weeks. Then it's a taper down again for the Kauai Half Marathon September 6th and then, a few weeks later, the Humboldt County half-marathon.  This race has a super strong field of runners that put out some blazingly fast times. Winner posted a 65 for the whole half.  My understanding though is that it's a very fast course to begin with with long straights and longer downhills.  Regardless, I'm positive I can't get top 3 but I am already foaming at the mouth to challenge bigger and better runners because hey, that's how we improve.  

Today's log was pretty crappy. Eeked out a 6 mile run at like a 7:30 pace which felt like a 5 minute pace after the race! did a ton of situps with weights and then without weights. I can only imagine that my stomach is going to hurt like hell tomorrow!
Diet was off the charts 'bad' as in some cooked food. Ugh.

Pre-bike: Electrolyte drink (again, vegan, GMO-gluten-soy-sugar-free, made with stevia)
Post-bike: More electrolyte drink
Breakfast: Green smoothie with raw granola
Lunch: LaraBar thrown into a smoothie made of blueberries and bananas
Dinner: ANOTHER green smoothie with granola.
Snacks: Water, brown rice ball, Amy's vegan bean burrito, barley salad with edamame and lettuce. I need to stop eating so much brown rice if anything. But I have to admit, it's incredibly tasty! They make it with shiitake mushrooms and fresh veggies that I usually consume with an entire head of romaine. It's SUUUUPER good, believe me on this one!

Tomorrow will be an AM bike ride and perhaps a light hill run depending how I feel or pedalling it out more on the stationary. I'm so sore around my lower ankle region just behind my calf. Nothing wrong with the joint but the muscle is just very stressed I think. Oh well, looking forward to some good rest tonite.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, BIG congratulations on your race placing. It sounded like a brutal course. I came in second at my first 1/2 marathon and I know how shocking and motivating it is to pull off something like that...so yeah, only expect bigger and better! Looking forward to seeing what you can do on a flatter course.

    ReplyDelete