Saturday, July 25, 2009

T-minus 1 day, 5:30am start, Wave 1

As the title says, we're 24 hours away from the start time of my first ever half marathon! I have to admit, I'm a little nervous as I don't know how I'll do and whether or not I can put together a respectable time.  I feel as if I'm running for so much more than just myself but a slew of people and the companies that sponsor and support me, day in and day out.  I guess, right before the storm hits, I am reflecting on a lot of what's gone on and the journey.  

almost 6 months ago, I was running 20 minutes a day because I wanted to feel better.  Things were happening and I knew I was on the path to taking responsibility for my health. Now, I'm on the eve of running my first ever half marathon and the scariest thought I have right now is, 'I'm not sure I can win'. Let's paraphrase that differently.  'I am unsure I'm going to win my first ever half marathon and beat out people who are professionals and have 10x more experience than I do at running'. When I think about this, I feel better because I think, what the hell do I have to lose! 

So here we go, with an open mind and an (almost) empty stomach, I'm ready to roll.  Today was the first day in a few months I did no running. It felt odd and strange. It felt, 'normal'...the sensation of what 'normal' everyday people go through.  I watched a lot of TV (tour de france of course), rested and messed around on the internet. Unproductive and non-athletic.  Two adjectives that could describe me a few months ago and now, are far removed from the runner lining up tomorrow. 

Supposedly, the run will be hell going through the hills of San Francisco and it will be painful, long and hilly - according to a runner at the expo.  Funny...this is how EVERYONE has described the other races I did. So what can we say: it will be hard, hilly and painful.  At 5:30am, all hell breaks lose. But you know....that's just what I want and expect.  To pound the point home, I'm wearing my polka dot nike socks that signify 'King of the Mountains' at the Tour de France for the best climber.  And while I may not be the 'King of the Mountains' yet, I will do my best and run for the many people that support me and my endeavors.  Until tomorrow afternoon everyone. 

Whop ass time: 5:30am
Pleasure time: Sometime before 7am.
Celebration feast: 1 ENTIRE Amy's vegan, rice spinach and 'cheese' pizza with a big salad.  Dessert will be a slice of raw 'cheesecake' from Cafe Gratitude. 

See you on the other side.  Let's show em what vegans can do tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Alex. Can't wait to hear the results!

    ReplyDelete