Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Question: What does YHP mean?
















As you've noticed, this is called the YHPrunning.blogspot.com. You're probably wondering what the heck YHP means. Well, wonder no more, YHP is cantonese for 'Yee-ha-pa' which literally means 'double-chin'.
If you can imagine, my freshman year at Brown I weighed 190 lbs and when I moved out to Hawaii I was 185 lbs and had a, you guessed it, double chin - or 'YHP'. My closest friend, Emily, used to call me YHP and still does although I no longer have one. Instead, I have once chin thankfully! We thought this was a funny joke as it shows how different and extreme the change has been.

Basically, I went raw vegan or 'high-raw' in late January and that's when I began running. Crazy no? I never ran in college or graduate school and started in January 2009. 50 lbs lighther, I train to win races and cycle competitively with a team here on the islands. Interestingly, there are many who share a similar experience on the raw vegan diet. In fact, I met a family of 5 last weekend at Whole Foods Kahala who are all raw vegans! The boys are healthy and fit and they, like me, wouldn't have it any other way!
Anyways, now you know what YHP stands for. It is the wish of Emily and myself that everyone who reads this blog can be inspired to change their way of thinking, be grateful for life and always exercise compassion and moderation in all things.

NOTE: Emily is called 'GHP' which stands for 'Gou-Ha-Pa' which literally means '9-chin'. Of course, she doesn't have 9 chins (most of the time) but it's my joke for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment