Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Daily Log 7/29/09 - Kauai Half Marathon Preview

Here's what is being said about the Kauai Half Marathon
"Get your hill-work in now"
"First 7.5 miles are at average of 2.5%.  What sadistic organizer makes a course that begins with 8 miles uphill."
"Barf"

The last comment hit home as this is what it felt like climbing the steep hills of San Francisco - albeit not performing the action (saved that for after the race! Just kidding. Or am I?).  Basically, the race begins with 8 miles up. Sweet. Then it begins a 5 mile downhill at an average grade of 3%.  Can you say blazing fast finish?  

Normally, I'm not a fan of gels or sports drinks but something tells me, it's going to take everything to get to the top of that climb at the pace I want to hit.  Starting this weekend, I'll be experimenting with gels, ideally organic ones. I know Clif Shot Blocks are decent and as long as it doesn't taste like straight salt I'll be okay. No chance or running a fast race on this course. It'll be brutal going up and quick on the descent. 

As such, I began training today for the Kauai Marathon, 2 days after I ran my first half marathon! So it should come as no shock that today was a lot of hills and tomorrow will be - you guessed it - more hills. 

Exercise Log
-------------------
AM: Hill climb bike ride. Up and down diamond head on big gears. Up Kilauea Street and climbed many other small but steep hills along the way. Solid morning bike ride. 
PM: 15 minute bike warm up, followed by a 7-mile stint of insanity.  1 mile warm up and then 6 miles at the following grades: 3%, 3.5% and 4%.  At the 4% grade, average pace was 6:24 going up and trust me that was PLENTY hard.  But we'll tame this baby soon. 
After this was a solid 30 minute session of spinning with my good fried Sarah. She routinely kicks my ass in this class and 'dances' far better than I do on the bike.  And for a kayaker, that aint too shabby either.

Diet Log:
-------------------
Pre-bike: Electrolyte Drink
Post-bike:  Electrolyte Drink (I swear, I drop these things like third period french class!)
Breakfast: Huge green smoothie with raw 'granola'.
Lunch: All fruit smoothie with bananas and a LaraBar thrown in.  Slowly growing fond of the apple pie flavor (www.larabar.com).
Dinner: ANOTHER green smoothie plus two oatcakes and raw 'granola'.  I was particularly hungry this morning.
Snacks: banana, water, kale salad and barley-hijiki salad.

I think I burned close to 3,500 calories on the day. Ohhhh boy and just think...we get to do it all over again tomorrow!
Oh and if you haven't checked out the article written by one of my sponsors, here's the facebook link for all you tech-savvy people out there:
I myself haven't ventured into the twitter world yet...far too complicated and I'm still getting over the new version of Microsoft Excel (and trust me, as a person that picks only low-lying fruit, this is outrageous!)

Tuesday Downloads:
Dirty Vegas - Tonight.  Again, iTunes laid an egg this Tuesday. Nothing really worth downloading except this song.  Slowly but surely, Lady GaGa and her voice is growing on me. Check out 'Eh Eh, theres nothing else I can say'.  Pretty good song to bike to on those recovery rides.  
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment