Sunday, October 4, 2009

What's happened and where I've been

Probably noticed the considerable absence from the blog. Promise it's not personal with you =) It seems, fate has brought me to an interesting intersection with respect to my professional and athletic career. I'm going to open up and share something personal with you all because it's important for you [my readers] to know what it's like.

On Tuesday, I learned that my job was being eliminated due to a company re-engineering project, for which, I was a casualty. It's tough to hear something like that especially when the work I've been doing has been getting great responses and solid approval. Without question, this was shocking to me and my family. I was rather speechless to tell you the truth.

Later on that day, my boss held a meeting with the other managers in my division and announced the news. He gave me the day off and said I didn't have to show up to the meeting. What did I do? I showed up to the meeting, head high and was stone-faced as I was dragged through the mud. It's so hard to not take personal but I think about my position, age, circumstance and it was probably the most humane thing to do. Thankfully, the bank wants to retain me in another position but which I'm fortunate because there were MANY, MANY lay-offs where people were NOT retained. Regardless it still sucks to be a casualty of war.

And what do I do that day? Drink? Never. Eat meat? Never. Run my ass off? You betcha. My salvation has been cycling and running and I've been doing both everyday not letting up. Taking out my frustration on my body and the road. Far less expensive then going to the bar right?

Here we are. A countdown to 12/31/09 where I need to find a job within the bank or else it's Aloha. But perhaps there's a silver lining here. Perhaps, this is the pivotal point in my athletic career where I endeavor to make my dream of becoming a neo-pro in cycling can come true. Here are the facts: I'm 24, no debt, degree and graduate degree.

Davis, Eugene, Seattle, B-more, Irvine, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Palo Alto. Guess what I'm thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment