Thursday, May 20, 2010

A YHPRunning First: (Vegan) Pancakes & Sausage

Let me preface this post and say that even when I was a meat-eating-milk-guzzling-omnivore, I STILL didn't eat pancakes and breakfast sausage all that much. Well, that's not true. I liked breakfast sausage. Since I became veganized, I haven't had pancakes with fruit, syrup and sausages in a loooong ass time. You can imagine my enthusiasm then when my mom suggested we give a crack at vegan pancakes, sausage and syrup.
What you're looking at ladies and gents, romans and greeks, cyclists and non-cyclists: vegan, gluten-free buckwheat pancakes made with buckwheat mix, soymilk, some vegan butter and agave syrup. [that's the batter].
We then chopped up a lot of strawberries and put it on top and then drizzled with MORE agave syrup. MMMMMMMmmmmm...

The sausages: naturally, these are soy sausages. Honestly, they were meh. I guess part of it is due to my dislike of truly artificial things such as soy sausage, soy turkey and all this other nonsense. Part of me thinks that in those situations, if I wasn't a devout vegan, I might as well eat meat because it's got less shit in it then the altered soy stuff. But, given how rare it is I have this meal [say, once every other 5 years], I figured what the hell...bring on the soy.

All in all, it was okay. Not outta this world but okay. Would I have it again? Well, if I had a lot of time in the morning and I wasn't cycling? sure. bring it. I have to admit, the reason for trying this meal was all the pre-ride / race meals I hear people eat before they hit the bike. It's crazy! One pro rider is like: eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes and hashbrowns...otherwise known as a Denny's Grand Slam. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
When I was riding in Hawaii for example, my 'pre-ride' meal was A banana and some water if I was thirsty after that. None of this other stuff...like bacon and eggs. No gracias.

Ill tell ya a secret tomorrow about running too I betcha never thought you knew...

No comments:

Post a Comment