Sunday, May 23, 2010

The [Vegan] Difference

Katsup on the right is 'plain', left is sweetned with Agave.
Being vegan isn't just about not exploiting animals - it's way more than just 'that'. Because of our[vegan] nature, we are forced to be avid label readers, almost to the point of OCD. But ask yourself, with so much shit and crap in today's food, is this a bad thing?




Then again, it's a common cliche to assume that all wee-gans are think and protein deficient. I've made some livin-large-and-in-charge vegans and you look at what they consume: coca-cola, potato chips and soy hot dogs. Yes, those are all vegan. Yes, if you eat those and not do anything to burn them, you will get fat. Vegan or no vegan. But I digress.



Back to label-reading. One thing I'm sure you've all heard of it the whole hub-ub about 'sugar' and why it sucks. The reasons are countless but paramount among all of them is the amount of inflammation refined sugar causes to the body [not to mention acidity]. And it's in EVERYTHING. Including Katsup...my old time friend. And then, Vi, my favorite bike mechanic and former high-school running teammate introduced me to organic vegan katsup sweetened with agave nectar. How cool is that? My long winded reason for writing this post is to encourage all of you to be rabid [yes, RABID!] label-readers and always know there is a better alternative. Even for my non-vegan readers / 'friends', simple things like: more fruit and veg will do wonders. Trust me. I'm a doctor ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment