Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Terrible Tuesdays

Yezzir! As the title implies, Tuesday, the king of all suck days. Why is that? Well, Monday is typically an easy spin for me - gotta clear out the lactic acid to make room for more! Tuesday, however, big ugly pain face? Check. V02 Intervals? On point like yo mama's eggplant casserole [and it is on point!].

The whole day I was just resenting the tragic fate that awaited me in the afternoon after work. Turn's out it wasn't the death-by-bike-flogging I imagined. My targets were a bit high this time @ 4 minutes of threshold work [HR > 170 bpm]. Sounds easy? It is. That's why we do it 5 times. :-)

Someone asked me what is a V02 interval like. Here's my way of describing it. With respect to the suffer-scale, 10 being "Oh misery. Shoot me now, oh misery" and 7 being "burning legs and audible breathing", V02 is around 8 for me, essentially: "F*ck me, how much longer! My legs are screaming right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!" So yeah, that's that.

Top that off with some frigid cold temperatures and you'll understand why I cut my intervals short by 1 [should have done 6]. But thank goodness that kablooey is all over with and I can crawl my sorry, stank ass in bed and live to fight another day. Brown rice pasta + vegan pesto helps enormously with the recover process too :-)

After my near-death experience, I rode easy to Montclair [village where I live] and they had a food tasting from all the restaurants. Naturally, I stopped to catch my breath. There I was, all 64 kg of me, head in hands, shaven legs propped up on a chair, too tired to even get the free samples - then again, they prolly weren't wee-gan huh? Some lady asked me if I had a good workout. All I could muster was "enjoy your meal." Was that rude?

No comments:

Post a Comment