Monday, January 11, 2010

Man: 1 Machine: 0



Wanna know how the day starts off?

Typically, I'll have my alarm set for 5:20. Do I get up at that time? No. Hell No. Who does?! So I turn on the snooze and then roll around for the next 20 minutes, doing my best to wrestle with the morning and gain courage for stepping on a cold floor [man, I miss carpeting].

Bam, the TV goes on and I'm awakened with the Bloomberg Channel's opening bell show to see how markets are doing. Turn on the espresso machine cuz hey, what's a Monday without a decaf soy latte [many of you ask: "Alex, what the f*ck do decaf soy latte's do for you?". My response: "They help me whoop your ass up and down the hill."], and a big ass bowl of fruit salad. Add to this some raw vegan granola and Monday's start to look up.

Full stomach and bright-eyed, I open the door and am slapped in the face with 40 degree weather. At which point, my courage retracts inward and my covers look all the more appealing. Hop in the ride [94 Accord, cuz I roll real dirty like that....] and it's off to BART [Bay Area public transporation thingie]. While on the BART you can find me reading one of following magazines:
1) Runner's World
2) ProCycling Magazine
3) Road Magazine

And the job? Well, that's looking pretty good actually. I like and respect the people I work with and am THRILLED that I can roll to work in jeans, tshirt and my Inov-8 shoes. I see those poor blokes in shirts and ties and I sigh, nod my head and think "son, I have been to the top of the mountain...and it is good"

And that's the Monday commute.
In response to the lovely Miss Amelia - What the heck does 475 Watts look and feel like? Well, let's break it up piece by piece shall we? The light bulbs we have here are 60 Watts. Divide that into 475 and you get roughly 8 lightbulbs. In this room that I'm typing this blog post, we have 7 light bulbs plus the hallway makes 8. So basically, I can power half my house =)

In terms of what that feels like? Well, it's not so bad. It feels like a good level of resistance at first. Keywords: AT FIRST. And then the next 20 seconds roll by and your legs are absolutely screaming. 10 more seconds of insanity and it'll all be over. 10..9..8..7.......6........5.........4............3...........2.......................1...........................Done! Feels like friggin forever. And get this: You got 11 more to do.

Turns out that Kitchen-Aid also makes a plug-in appliance that people use for mixing. I have a picture of it above. That can generate power of up to 475 Watts. What I'm saying, is I can beat that egg faster than the machine. Yes. Man: 1, Machine: 0. So yeah, if you ever need flower mixed, or eggs beaten....ya know.....

1 comment:

  1. So how many watts does a Vita-Mix use? Check out this website: bikeblender.com/products. Saw something like it on Jay Leno. You could open your own smoothie business and use you leg power to blend vegan drinks. Might be popular in San Fran. BTW it was 60 degrees when I got in my car this morning. Quite frigid for Hawaii Nei.

    ReplyDelete