Saturday, August 22, 2009

I crashed [and then got up and rode some more]

So today's assignment was to ride 4-6 hills of medium length and I figured, 4 repeats of Tantalus [7.6 km @ average of 5.7%], 30 mile easy ride then finish with Halekoa Drive. Tantalus is a fine climb because it's long and the descent is very technical so you have to be on your shit. Problem was it had rained earlier and there was all kinds of shit on the road that I couldn't see / avoid.

And so on repeat number 4, the climb was fine but on the descent, my bike gave way and I crashed backwards [rather than going over the handlebars] and I slid for about 10 feet...quite gnarly to be honest. But when I did it wasn't so bad really, I knew nothing was broken and there was no pain in the muscle = all good to run. When I got up, my Liquigas kit was ripped to shreds and blood was coming out through the clothing. In short, I have a *BIG strawberry on my hip and then cuts on my wrist and elbow. Pretty annoying really not because they hurt but they sting terribly. I've bandaged it properly and have some gauze on the cut area but I imagine it will take a week to scab over. It's really not that bad and I've seen far worse. Still, crashing sucks regardless and even more so when you slide a few feet.

It looked really bad ass though, take my word for it =) After this, I hopped back on the bike, did an easy 30 miles and had pretty 'fresh' legs going into the Halekoa climb. And for once, I saw another rider!!! This is an incredibly rare occassion as I NEVER EVER see other riders attempting this climb [at 14% for 3 miles, you can understand why]. Granted, he was descending but this was a first for me and I was relieved to see that there are others of the same sadistic species out there.

Diet was pretty cool today and I enjoyed my food thoroughly!
Pre-ride: 1 Larabar, 3 bananas with mac-nut buter, some electrolyte drink
During-ride: 3 larabars, blended dates with peach, electrolyte drink [lots of these]
Post-ride: 2 raw vegan protein shakes, 2 bananas, 2 Clif Builders bars [vegan!]
Lunch:Oatcake, Larabar, apple and freshly squeezed OJ. I absolutely LOVE fresh squeezed OJ now!
Snack: Raw vegan protein shake, Clif builder bar, another LaraBar, Water
Dinner: Big grilled tofu salad sandwiched between a rice tortilla with hummus. 1 Amy's Spinach-pesto pizza [wheat and gluten free, vegan of course].

All of the place right!

No comments:

Post a Comment