Saturday, August 8, 2009

And then I thought...ahh this is S#@t!

It's 8:44pm on Saturday...a time when most youngsters are getting ready to take on the night. At least for me, a few years ago, I would be napping off my meat-packed dinner, getting myself psyched for the onslaught of vodka to come later on....man, I can't imagine doing that now.

Fast forward a fear years to the present and you'll find that I'm in my 'skins' recovery pants with an ice pack taped to my right ankle. Basically, I have some torn muscle in this one location that I clearly don't respect enough. Why do I say that? For starters, I put in a good 80 miles this morning. Awesome ride and was just catching folks / teams left and right. My descents are getting a lot better I think and I'm pleased with my small improvements. Today I climbed Halekoa Drive around mile 75 or so. It was awesome because I saw this car that rolled down their windows and said they were cyclists and that "you're crazy trying to ride up this ridge!" (lot's of truth to this...keep reading) but they were friendly and sprayed me with water when I asked for it. Going up that hill, it was brutal but I'm getting better and stronger at it. Anyways, I finished around 9:30am and hit the gym and cold plunge for 15 minutes! Wow!

Bounced to whole foods while listening to too short in my recovery skins. Awesome. Had a light lunch then slept at the club for a bit. Got up, then ran 10 miles at a blisteringly fast pace. Gotta be around 5:40 and even hitting 5:30 at times. This was not smart as I was injured and it looks as if I'm going to take this week off running and just hit the bike (plenty hard too). Emily says I should stop running this week...naturally she is the voice of reason for me and I will reluctantly listen.

Been reading a lot about cycling and nutrition. What a shocker...pros eat a lot of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Wow. Why am I not surprised. Run was stupid long today. Grocery day tomorrow after bike ride. What's on the list you say?
Papayas (3)
Peaches (5)
Pears (5)
Kale (2)
Bananas (maybe 15)
Butter lettuce (5)
Blueberries
Mangoes (4)
Strawberries
Flaxseed

...aaaaaaaaand we're done. =) Chances are, I'll throw in a case of dates too because I love em so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment