Monday, August 24, 2009

Another week of intensity [along with a badly bruised hip]

Crash +1 day...still hurts. Thankfully, I put this stuff on it called Tegaderm and it basically acts as my second skin. Got up and had a recovery ride for about an hour, nothing too serious, probably close to 16 miles or so. Climbing Diamond Head this one rider tried to stay on my wheel and I quickly dropped him after a bit and then kicked it on the downhill = he had no chance.

Ironically, I have the legs and the power today but the cut on my hip is making fast movement a bit difficult. Nonetheless, the workouts must go on as planned...such is the dreadful and monotonous life of the aspiring athlete. Oftentimes, I question why it is I subject myself and my body to the phsyical torture and the truth is I believe I've been blessed with athleticism that I've discovered 'late' in my youthful years. Along with this diet came the weight loss and the energy that is no vital to do what I do. I mean, how many vegans and mostly raw vegans can compete out there with really accomplished athletes that have been doing this for DECADES [longer than I've been born] and still eat crap. I take it as my personal responsibility to try and show people what can be accomplished on a plant-based diet and spread the word about health and nutrition. It's a sensitive subject with me because I remember what I was like eating regular American food...cereal, oatmeal, subway sandwiches...Oftentimes, I'm tempted to go in and smell the scent of a good steak sizzling on the grill or look at some raw sushi being prepared. I think 'man, that looks good!'. And right as I'm about to grab it, I remind myself of my personal mission and to stop and be thankful for my athletic gifts and the supporting crew that represents my team.

From my coaches, friends and sig fig, I'm only as strong as my cast. As I see it, that's reason enough for me to press on despite the pain and suffering. So here's to you all. I'll make the next 6 miles good. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment