Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wards Ferry RR


So this past weekend, I raced in the Wards Ferry RR all the way out in Tuolumne, CA! For those that don't know, that's in Yosemite which is like 2.5 hours from Oakland. Hells bells that's far! Safe to say Friday was a quiet night and even my dad spared me and turned off CNN early. Of course, it doesn't help when you got Paul Mooney doing standup on HBO but you get the idea. =)

Anyways, got my fat ass up @ 3:30am (!!) and was picked up by a team mate and we trekked out to Wards Ferry. And the whole time it was talking and all I wanted to do was sleep. A few hours later, we get there and it's ass cold. Like 38 degrees. Fk me. I'm in leg warmers, gloves and arm warmers. Not surprisingly, so is everyone else.

Race begins @ 8:09 and the first lap is somewhat quick. We dropped folks halfway through and then on the climbs, I saw many laboring away, breathing deeply, long and hard [tee hee]. About 1/4 way into lap 2, I drop the chain completely. The fker is wrapped around my crank arm! I stop and fix it and takes like 4 minutes. Of course, the rest of the field passes me by and I hop on my bike only to drop that shit again. Bam, another 4 minutes. By now, I'm pissed. I take off the arm warmers, leg warmers and pound some vegan electrolyte drink. For the next 40-odd miles, I have my head down and I'm in the pain cave. Insane watts were thrown down. In the end, I cought 14 people in my race and finished 15th. BAM! Not a top 10 or any points but holy shit, that was the most gratifying 15th place I've had in a long time.

I also put my breakfast of champions above. You'll see 2 bananas, truth is, it's normally 3-4. A Whole Soy Mixed berry yogurt, an ezekiel english muffin with cinammon and raisin and a vegan clif bar. Normally, this is a cashew cookie LaraBar but eh....this was what was left in the pantry. Also not pictured is a tall glass of FRESH and organic OJ. Not made from concentrate or shit like that. Just fresh squeezed OJ. Oh yeah son. And for shits and giggles, I'll put almond butter on the muffin if I'm truly feeling like a fatty =)

Also pictured is what was bought today at the Berkeley Bowl [equivalent to Whole Foods]. Stevia sweetened "soda", soy yogurt, bananas good for 3 days, frozen cherries, spinach, apples, oranges, VEGAN AGAVE SWEETENED GUMMI BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, fresh OJ, blackberries, blueberries, Amy's all veggie wee-gan pizza, arrabiatta sauce for pasta and some english muffins [sprouted ezekiel and barley....vegan, of course].
Whew, that was a mouthful. Only one thing left to do now: watch family guy.

1 comment:

  1. Almond butter on muffins - ummm how else would you eat muffins?? I thought this was common practice. At least it is in my household.

    And agave sweetened vegan gummy bears??? what?? I want them. And I want them now.

    And yes, frozen cherries are expensive. But they make THE best smoothies.

    ReplyDelete