Thursday, July 1, 2010

Meta-morphosis Part 5: Hawaii's got talent

Really...did you think anything OTHER than 2 bananas would be my post-race meal of choice?

Before I begin, let me give thanks to those reading, following and getting something out of this blog. Lately, I've received really nice emails from people from all walks of the world that have been enjoying the Meta-morphosis series. Thanks, really appreciate the good thoughts and the feedback...even if it's less than flattering sometimes [cue Sigma chi]. Point is, I'm not here to make friends and let things be puppy dogs and ice cream with everyone. This series was drawn up when my mom and I were talking one weekend and felt it would be good to share my epic journey. Coolest part is: there's a lot to go still. Aside from the obvious grammatical errors and the occasional "that's what she said", thank you all. Okay, now that we got that lovey-dovey stuff out of the way...let's proceed.

July 2009, the eve of my first ever half marathon, the SF half-marathon. I was well coached and had a good game plan going in. Carbo loading? heh...it pays well to be a vegan boy who wolfs brown rice and bananas all day. Check! Garmin? Check! Somehow, I convinced the race staff that I was worth it to be up near the 'serious ones' and so I had the elite group start time - 5:25am. Fk me...Of course, I'm freezing cold and like every other Hawaiian, I'm dressed in short running shorts, no shirt and shoes. Correction: there were no other Hawaiians...just my stupid under-dressed okole! Gun goes off and right away we start hauling down the empty, cool streets of San Francisco. Crowds of people were there - doing what at 5:25am lord knows what. It was epic. It was at the 2 mile mark that I realized WHAT and WHO I was: A guy that got fat, turned his life around, and is now competing in the lead group to run 13.1 miles over the golden gate bridge and try to finish on the podium. I remember feeling both scared and relieved. Scared because I couldn't believe what was going on around me! I cant say they were vegan but these blokes around me were very fit, very skinny and had that 'dedicated' look. And there I was...ole' gipper and all, mixing it up. Relieved because of the journey it took to get here. Achieving this level of fitness took more than hours and hours in the gym and track..it took a TOTAL sacrifice - or to use a young person's term: "lifestyle makeover" - which, at the time, I was not sure I could manage. But here's the gift in all of this gibberish: regardless of outcome, as long as the intention was true and honest, it's never a bad thing to seek an answer. And that's what I want you to get out of this series: asking yourself for better is one thing, putting pen to paper is entirely something else. BUT, as long as you woke up with the intention to test and then DID IT, regardless of outcome, it's a good thing. And by doing this repeatedly, one can make a journey out of success by saying: "well, it didn't work today. Let's try something new tomorrow."

Like I said, my changes were modest at first. In a million years, I would never believe that I could get where I am at today and I'm constantly being humbled by those around me. The really exciting part is the potential that frankly, I NEVER KNEW I had. And think, for all YOU know, there's untapped potential in you. Thus, I encourage you to take that one big step and again, make a journey out of success. For me, that step was literally, a step outside my condo. And then it became two...and then three...and then 13.1 miles. :-)

Frankly, I don't remember much about the marathon except cramping once I crossed the finish line and needing an IV bag and a couple of bananas. Heading into the line, I heard the announcer call something: "and here comes our final podium finisher..in third place from Honolulu, Hawaii...Alex Tellez".

2 comments:

  1. hahah I'm loving the chinese [assuming so] spam comment. Ridiculous is the only word that comes to mind really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get married, there better be meat at my bachelor party

    ReplyDelete