Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2 Months Away

Today, well, yesterday really, marks 2 months to go until Vegan-athalon 2k10; essentially my debut triathlon race. And while we're still a LONG ways off with plenty of training required in between months, I guess I should stop and take a look at where we stand 2 months out and where I *hope to be at the end of this month.

THE SWIM
It should come as no surprise to you that swimming is...well...meh. I was complaining to Michael today, exclaiming: "I aint got no arm muscles!"
Michael's Response: "I know."
Ouch.

But I can now swim 4 full lengths of the pool without stopping. Whew! Major milestone. Each length takes about 19-22 seconds but it certainly feels like forever.

THE BIKE
This hasn't been going too well. Primarily because I sent my cranks back into the SRM people a while back and will hopefully get it by the end of this week [knock on wood] or the beginning of next week. Whew! But I miss being on the bike in the afternoon. Nothing spells 'good dinner' quite like V02 max intervals or hill repeats! How have I been getting in the bike workouts? Well, thank god Equinox gym has watt bikes for me to use. So my workouts are in the AM if recovery riding or lunch hour if doing an all out set of intervals. Yesterdays intervals blew major donkey balls. 30 x 30 seconds all of them at X > 358 watts. And you know it hurts when you got the constipated pain face on...

THE RUN
The one 'bright spot' really has been getting back into running shape. I can run 8 miles which is about my threshold @ or near 6 mins / mile. Slow, yes, but getting there. I need to be able to turn out mid-thirties for my 10k run or else we'll see ya in the rear with the gear. But again, there's still time and I got,probably 6 solid weeks of workout. Basebuilding is complete after this week though. I'm shocked at how fast the running legs have come back incidentally! Track workouts begin in earnest in August. If you thought what I do was tiring now...just wait until you've done track workouts that leave you in a vomit-induced coma....AFTER you slaughtered yourself on the bike.

Fun, fun, fun times await I tell ya. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment