Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The B-I-G Announcement: Let's TRI again..

Just look at that...water bottles and tubes out his okole...and a parole pager on his ankle!

You guessed it kiddo...the UNTHINKABLE...the UNBELIEVABLE...the UNFATHOMABLE..and yet...the INEVITABLE has occured. Call it relapse..call it whatever the hell you want but I'm going to give this triathlon shiznit a go and see what happens...

[if you're already turned off from this blog..I apologize..I know my hardcore roadie friends give me a lot of shit for it ALREADY]. The flak I've been getting for this decision has been reasonably funny ranging anywhere from: "grow the fk up and find a real sport" to "you really want to have 2 water bottles sticking outta your arse for 5 hours?" Yes and No friends..yes and no. And while I'll be the first to say that water-bottle-out-the-ass-ing is probably not for me, I will go on to say that the lure of INDIVIDUAL suffering attracts me to the sport. But probably paramount to this is the fact that I get to combine my two great loves of my life: Cycling + Running.

I've come to terms with a few things I'm going to share with you all:
1) I love cycling. No doubts there...cycling is truly a passion of mine and something that I will continue to do.
2) I love RACING my bike...pushing limits and suffering is what cycling is all about.
3) I love RUNNING...I am blessed to have the lung power for cycling but also blessed to have a set of wheels for legs on the run. I'm done trying to cover this fact.

Now you're all thinking...well Alex, can ya swim? Hmmm...Do you even OWN a wetsuit? Hmmmm...Yea it's gunna suck for a while I agree...swimming isn't my favorite thing in the world that's for sure but here we are, back at square one [again]. Only this time...I know for a fact the running legs haven't gone far.

Yesterday, I did a test for shits and giggles...I ran 5 miles, 4 of which were at a 7:03 pace. Heart Rate: 141 bpm. Perceived Effort: 3. Legs: DEAD after slaying myself on the bike. heh..safe to say I'll be needing a coach for this effort too.
So what's changed and what's the same?!

1) I will CONTINUE to race my bike - no denying that.

2) I will STILL get on Madeline and ride her into the ground

3) I now RUN!!!! Albeit, not very fast and not very far...but that will come soon. Promise.

4) I need a wetsuit.

5) I'm gunna get my ass kicked for a bit...

6) The goal is to compete at the ITU [Pro ranks] level. Trust me, it ain't easy...

7) Yes, that's a DRAFT-LEGAL race. Thankfully, it comes down to a footrace. You compete at ITU shit if you get a pro card.

8) FINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY!! No wily veterans sucking wheel for a bit! You gotta beat me in the run now too ;-) And that's where...you KNOW....imma tap that ass ;-)

So here we go...strap in Nancy...our first crack at Triathlon glory is September 26 at the Santa Cruz Tri, CA.

5 comments:

  1. Let's start the mental coaching now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Triathlons are so much fun! best of luck to you!!!
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  3. OooOOoo I know...they seem so crazy and wacky! :-)

    We'll see how it goes...running has been interesting again but with time I think I'll work that psuedo-grape-jelly-feeling out!

    @Paul - Okie dokie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck A...but i'm not expecting anything less than the best...

    - P

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always my friend, your support has been right on up there. part 7 of that series had you in mind too...NO DOUBT brother..Imma put it down.

    ReplyDelete