You guessed it kiddo...the UNTHINKABLE...the UNBELIEVABLE...the UNFATHOMABLE..and yet...the INEVITABLE has occured. Call it relapse..call it whatever the hell you want but I'm going to give this triathlon shiznit a go and see what happens...
[if you're already turned off from this blog..I apologize..I know my hardcore roadie friends give me a lot of shit for it ALREADY]. The flak I've been getting for this decision has been reasonably funny ranging anywhere from: "grow the fk up and find a real sport" to "you really want to have 2 water bottles sticking outta your arse for 5 hours?" Yes and No friends..yes and no. And while I'll be the first to say that water-bottle-out-the-ass-ing is probably not for me, I will go on to say that the lure of INDIVIDUAL suffering attracts me to the sport. But probably paramount to this is the fact that I get to combine my two great loves of my life: Cycling + Running.
I've come to terms with a few things I'm going to share with you all:
1) I love cycling. No doubts there...cycling is truly a passion of mine and something that I will continue to do.
2) I love RACING my bike...pushing limits and suffering is what cycling is all about.
3) I love RUNNING...I am blessed to have the lung power for cycling but also blessed to have a set of wheels for legs on the run. I'm done trying to cover this fact.
Now you're all thinking...well Alex, can ya swim? Hmmm...Do you even OWN a wetsuit? Hmmmm...Yea it's gunna suck for a while I agree...swimming isn't my favorite thing in the world that's for sure but here we are, back at square one [again]. Only this time...I know for a fact the running legs haven't gone far.
Yesterday, I did a test for shits and giggles...I ran 5 miles, 4 of which were at a 7:03 pace. Heart Rate: 141 bpm. Perceived Effort: 3. Legs: DEAD after slaying myself on the bike. heh..safe to say I'll be needing a coach for this effort too.
So what's changed and what's the same?!
1) I will CONTINUE to race my bike - no denying that.
2) I will STILL get on Madeline and ride her into the ground
3) I now RUN!!!! Albeit, not very fast and not very far...but that will come soon. Promise.
4) I need a wetsuit.
5) I'm gunna get my ass kicked for a bit...
6) The goal is to compete at the ITU [Pro ranks] level. Trust me, it ain't easy...
7) Yes, that's a DRAFT-LEGAL race. Thankfully, it comes down to a footrace. You compete at ITU shit if you get a pro card.
8) FINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY!! No wily veterans sucking wheel for a bit! You gotta beat me in the run now too ;-) And that's where...you KNOW....imma tap that ass ;-)
So here we go...strap in Nancy...our first crack at Triathlon glory is September 26 at the Santa Cruz Tri, CA.