Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Triathlon Challenge [oh shit]


Let's cut right to the chase: yesterday, as I was sitting quietly with Madeline flipping through the blog-O, a gentleman approached me and inquired about the stunning woman [bike] that was sititng next to me. One thing led to another and I realized this guy is the CURRENT record holder for the mile in my high school [we grew up minutes from eachother!]. He busted the mile @ 4:03. That's. Lights. Out.

When I asked him what the hell an Oakland boy is doing out in HI, I discovered he was retired military and now the US regional rep for triathlons and is in charge of getting the youngins on the Olympic Track. Holy shit. The conversation goes on...in fact, it carries for an entire hour. We speak of everything from running, cycling, wee-ganism and my overall compulsive need to consume bananas. In the end, he walks away and challenges me to do a triathlon [that's swim, bike and run for those not in the know] in August. I tell him thanks, and that I would consider it. But before you go writing this off and sya 'dont do that shit Alex' I realized the following with respect to the tri races:

1) It's a massive test of endurance. No f*cking around here. Imagine dropping the bike, only to run a half marathon at blazing fast pace. Shit son.

2) Unlike cycling, tri races are NOT every weekend and you can space it out to have peaks in training.

3) Anyone - assuming you post amazing times and get places in age group - can go to Kona [the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS]. Imagine that...skinny weegan boy competing at worlds. Imma paint the bike banana yellow. :-)

4) No drafting. No drafting. No drafting. No drafting. Translation = No wily veterans on your ass, sucking wheel waiting for you to attack. Translation 2 = strap in, put helmet on and pound the shit out of em.

5) Even if they can get with me on the bike, they gotta now drop it and get with me on the run. And while I haven't run in a bit, I am well aware of what I was capable of doing when I was running.

6) You can compete with your shift off! Okay, that one is a little vain but you get the idea.


BIG PROBLEM FOR ALEX: the swim. Yes, I can swim. Not very good at it though. Guess that's why there's the bike and run?
Anyways, I haven't agreed to this challenge yet. Assuming I do, he's going to bring the Hawaii National team down and him and some other coaches will assess my performance as a tri 'newb'. To tri or not to tri....I'll bet you that was the real question...

So I put it to the readership. What in god's name to do? Continue cycling and learn and learn and learn and be humbled constantly. Or do a tri, become a multi-sport athlete and tap my athletic endurance as best as possible - not that cycling doesn't do this already! I've been mulling on this question a bit and I can't decide....

4 comments:

  1. Can't win if you don't TRI...

    I say do it! No matter what happens, you'll get better as a competitor and you'll be able to test yourself against the best and who knows, might even end up at Worlds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Train for a Tri! Hawaii's the place to train year round! And you have all sorts of distances to choose from although I think the Olympic "sprint" distance would be your forté. You'll pick up swimming just fine and then clean up during the bike and run portion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compete.... but with your "shit" on. Nobody wants to see your skinny, malnourished ass.

    ReplyDelete