Sunday, June 20, 2010

NikkoLand Bazaar 2k10


Sweet summer fair...weather: 70 degrees with a light breeze. Almost reminds me of Hawaii....ALMOST..

Fun, fun times happenin at the Oakland Buddhist Church this weeked. But before I get into all the good stuff, I have some bike updates!
First off, Miss Evelyn [road bike] got an upgrade. No, not a new man/rider....silly. Instead, she got new components and new wheels! Yes! Gone are the days of Campagnolo 11 speed stuff. Out with that, and in with Shimano Dura Ace 7900 gruppo. Buttery smooth shifting and no more dropped chain rings we hope! Yay, now I can START to FINISH some races and then upgrade my sorry ass out ASAP. The wheels? Those would be Zipp 303s on that beezy. Bam! Take that! And get this, the combined weight of the wheels with tires AND cassette is still lighter than my road bike frame. Whoa.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, the Nikkoland Bazaar. Ever since I was a boy, my church in Oakland, the Oakland Buddhist Church - affectionately known as 'the OBC' - holds an event this time around which celebrates Japanese culture with games, food and prizes. Not really sure if Bingo is apart of Japanese culture but hey, whose keeping tabs anyways? I was on volunteering duty and had a wonderful time catching up with old friends and informing them that I - Alex Tellez - am COACHING girls Basketball this fall. Yes friends, now you get to see me yelling and screaming my okole off, drawing up plays and saying 'thank you to my psychiatrist, Doctor Cindy for helping me relax.' For those that dont know, that was one of Ron Artest's classic lines from the recent NBA finals. I spent the weekend riding on brand new Dura Ace everything and carbon tubulars with horrible corked brakes. Afterwards, I was volunteering at church, collecting donations for Bingo and working at the dinner ticket booth. It was very enjoyable and despite me not being able to eat 99.63% of what was being offered, the other 0.37% [water and a few gobstoppers] was delicious.

All I have to say about that - being a die-hard Celtics fan - is Kobe Bryant: NO means NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment