Sunday, June 13, 2010

So how'd it go?!

This past Saturday, I raced against my fellow skinny climbers in the TT up Mt. Diablo. A 6.2 mile [10k] suffer fest full of fast paces and ugly faces. I, being the latter. This was my first TT in cycling and I have to say...I'm a big fan. Just you vs. a clock and be sure to bring your lunch with you.

I get off to a cooking start and like so may other newbies I'm sure, over-cook the first 8 minutes and average 344 watts [for a skinny dude...that's turning the gears!]. Within the first 5 mins, I catch the guy that started 30 seconds before me! At which point, my body catches up to my mind and then the suffering begins....179....181....183.....184....186....188...

What's that you say? That's my heart rate climbing. Yep, at minute 12, I flat line at 188 and hold that sucker all the way up the mountain. Cool thing was, I passed 9 other blokes and then caught the field that started ahead of me [Masters 45+]. Anyways, I haul serious okole to the finish line and finish at a mediocre 5th place for my first TT. Lots to learn young skywalker...lots to learn I think.

2 comments:

  1. ... And if you ate meat, you might have placed -- I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and if you come to the bbq, im gunna stuff bananas up okole..

    ReplyDelete