Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Quality Ride + Andy goes VEGAN! [yes!]


So I have to start this blog off with a cool update from a really close friend of mine...someone I consider family - yeah, that close. He has decided to try my crazy diet of raw vegan with some cooked vegan thrown in. This is a HUGE step in the right direction and I'm thrilled he has taken this step. And you know what...he's full. He goes "that's a lot of fruit". Yes Andy, a 5-banana smoothie is no laughing matter. So tomorrow morning when I make my green smoothie, I'll take a big gulp for my good friend who has made a great decision. Here's to you Andy, eat them greens.

Also, had a wonderful day of cycling AND running. Yes, you read that correctly, I was able to forget the pain today and ran my ass off and cycled my ass silly to be exact. I also rode outside and met for the first time Hawaii's state champ, Mike Zagorski. Really nice guy who was patient with me when my leg cramped up when we finished a big climb. It was really encouraging because I got to get a reality check with how I stacked up. Honestly, I thought this was a recovery ride and I needed it given my running workout AND my cycling workout that I completed minutes before riding with him. I'm thankful that when we started climbing big time, I wasn't dropped at all although he did out-climb me but he was going hard and I was trying to keep up. Again, never lost contact and constantly rode myself back into it. Riding with a Cat 1 racer [pro cyclist] and hanging even if on a brief 40 mile ride...encouraging. I told him that I began riding 3 months ago and that if he helps me learn, I'll be better in 6 months. He said "man, you're going to surprise a lot of people when you race. I know how much power I was putting out [he has a Watt meter] and I was going hard and you were hanging." Nice feeling to know that even after a hard run and cycle, I still have the GRRRRR to hang with Hawaii's best. I'm happy. And make no mistake, we were hauling ASS on some climbs and on straights.

Running for the first time in 2 weeks felt good and I know I'll be sore and looking forward to my 'recovery' run tomorrow along Waikiki. Serious heart-rate monitoring. "Alex, dont go above 130 you dope." Today's stupid log -

Diet:
Breakfast: Banana, soymilk, Clif Builders bar, blackberries. This was a kind of 'cereal' I'll have to show you guys.
Lunch: 4 bananas, yet ANOTHER Clif builders bar, Larabar, green smoothie.
Snack: Gluten free, veggie pizza. This was not smart as I ate it and then ran 1 hour later. Gross. worst cramps EVER.
Dinner: Buckwheat oatmeal, mom's homemade granola, grapes, bananas, GoRaw Apple Cinammon granola.
Sound good huh...tasted damn good too.

Exercise Log [this part is stupid]:
Run: 1 mile warmup at 6:18. 3 x 2 miles at 5:52, 5:52 and then 5:46. Not too shabby after 2 weeks of no running. I'm quite pleased.
Bike part 1) VO2 max reps. It certainly was intense and I used a lot of energy for this.
Bike part 2 with Mike) very intense. Compounded with bike part 1 (see above) = very, VERY intense ride.
I had to sit in the ice bath for like 8 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment