Monday, August 9, 2010

The Weegan/Buddhist Dilemma

Just look at all that cruelty! And to think, I was flipping that nonsense! Outrageous!
You cant see it well enough I think but atop of that ladder was a fan blowing cool air that hopefully originated from the Hawaiian islands and not the bathroom that was next to the grilling area.

So a couple of weekends ago, I participated in my buddhist temple's obon festival! Now, for those that dont know, Obon is a Japanese holiday celebrated in the summer to honor those who have passed. Typicall obon lasts 3 days in Japan and during that time people visit the gravesite, clean the tombstone and....and.....there's a celebration invovled with dancing, food, and good times to be had by all. In Hawaii there is an entire season seeing as how the vast majority of Japanese on the islands are buddhists anyways. However, the bay area does not have that concentration of Japanese the way Hawaii does [by way of size, the Bay Area is too vast to have concentrations].

Anyways, my church is the Buddhist Church of Oakland, AKA the OBC. During this time, I was volunteered to help do the most anti-vegan of vegan things known to man kind. FLIP STEAKS. Let's think about this. I'm vegan therefore I dont eat meat. I'm buddhist therefore I wouldnt eat any type of animal anyways. And yet, here I am flipping steaks. Hmmm...

In all honesty I have come to realize that not everybody is vegan or cares to be vegan. Fine, I get that. And desptie my feelings about flipping cruelty to serve others cruelty [so that they can ingest cruelty and BECOME cruel!] I willingly did this because this world is more than just weegans and non-weegans. But yes, the irony of the situation caused this post which I was relecutant to even post! But I figured, I've written far worse - and I'm not just talking about my obvious mistakes in the english language either!

Mama Tellez came out to visit me and the whole day was nice. I was flipping cruelty and sipping on water, conversing with other die-hard 'buddhists' about the joys of bbqing outside with friends and family. I was always offered food and rather than say 'No, I'm cruelty-free' I knew that would make them feel like jerks so instead I said I had eaten my share already before my shift.

And therein lies my first ever VEGAN FAIL!

But ya know, I had a good time meeting new people and I remember walking inside my home and telling my mother that for the first time in I cant remember how long, my clothes reeked of BBQ. At the end of the day, I realize that being vegan has its complications...we are ethically bound to not eat meat or exploit animals in anyway. I'm down with that. I also understand though that not everyone is vegan or cares to be vegan. I'm down with that too. That's their trip and their cup of tea. I think too often vegans are so quick to judge others because of our uber-cool knowledge of all things cruelty-free and the deliciousness of a well-ripened peach.

At the end of the day, we're all under the same damn roof, even if my roof is made cruelty-free. See, even vegans make sacrifices! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment