Tuesday, December 7, 2010

In three days, I'll be 26...

2009 Alex - Killing it and scoring a podium spot in my first ever half - marathon. Throwing the shaka's, reppin the 808. Yea brah!
2006 - Whiskey in hand, Hermes tie and Ralph Lauren suit. Good lord I was one snobby, obnoxious ivy leaguer! Whew, thank goodness those days are all done with.

New Year's 2004. I am afraid to guess how much I weigh in this photo. Let's just say I have that shirt now and it's a size L in mens. My pants from that time were a size 36. I'm currently a 29.

Thanksgiving, 2003. Back from my first tour of duty from college. Bobby, I know you remember how plump I was then. I gained so much weight my first year, it was almost comical. I loved college so much, I had an Abercrombie necklace that had a beer opener on it! Yikes!

26 years old...

More than a quarter of a century of living life and enjoying wonderful times and humbling moments. I guess I'm supposed to sound sentimental about the whole thing...ya know, be exctied about turning a new age, another year of living, and all that other crap.

So, in anticipation of the 'big day', let me spend some time reflecting on what's transpired in the past few years, noting some significant moments along the way.


  • I've been a vegan for two years now. Two years without meat, without a single glass of milk, without ever being tempted or swayed. I believe in veganism, I believe its good for animals and for the environment. Cheers for more years to come.

  • 2.1111 months ago I was 192 lbs. No lie. Those that follow this blog know what I mean and what I looked like. My closest friends don't have to search far to remember what I was like during my meat-eating-beer-drinking-college days.

  • Boy what a change 2 years make.
  • One of the best decisiosn of my life was to join the Honolulu Club in Honolulu, HI. I made friends, got back in the best shape of my life and decided to change for the better. Joining that gym was step 1.

  • My first job after my masters degree was at First Hawaiian Bank in Hawaii. I was living and working in paradise.

  • It was also in Hawaii I discovered my athleticism rather by accident. And thank the lord for that.
  • It's been one year and small change that I've been a cyclist. I picked up the bike by accident...a Specialized S-works from the Bike Shop Hawaii. Since then, i've been shaving my legs ever since.

  • Since relocating back to the Bay Area, I currently work as a statistician.

  • My nephew, William, was born a little more than a year ago. Now the kid is eating garlic crutons.

  • My brother recently got a job. Hooray for him!

  • My nickname among the group of roadies I ride with is 'Hawaii'. That's because I wore bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey in January [in California].

  • I still love anime...after all these years....

  • Little by little, I am forgetting my Japanese that I spent so long learning and busting my ass in college. Oh well.

For my birthday, I've decided to buy myself a carbon fibre bike! :-) Can't wait. I'm taking names for what I should call her. So far, the candidates are:

Roxanna [AKA Roxie for short]
Fiona
Shaniqua :-)....still keepin' it hood!
Kimberly

I'm taking ideas everyone so feel free to pitch in!!!!

1 comment: