Saturday, October 30, 2010

OVERWEIGHT [!!!] + OFFSEASON = [MORE] OVERWEIGHT!

What's that?! an SMS message? Or as the young people say: a "TEXT"?
Young William, sporting a handsome hat from Patagonia. Kid has good taste!
My mom relishing the role of playing grandma or as we say in tagalog: "lola".
It must be the offseason...there I am, all 151 lbs [!!!] of vegan lard. Get up fatty!

As a vegan, there's a certain kick I derive about telling people about my lifestyle and my love for animals and harsh dismay about eating them. There's this stern look of 'WTF!? you don't eat meat, where do you get your protein?! followed by a glance that if loosely translated in Slovakian probably comes out to: "oh, well that would explain why you're so thin and in shape." There are two problems with this:


1) I don't actually KNOW Slovakian...

2) and most importantly, I am NOT my racing weight [140-145ish..]. In fact, I'm no where close! I'm 151 lbs! Holy crap! Okay. Stop. Hold on. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

As it's my official offseason, I am taking 2 weeks off the bike and off of running. Yes, never thought I'd say it myself but I decided to have some rest. And honestly, I'm getting a bit antsy. It's been exactly 6 days and I am itching to get back on the bike and pound myself and my body into submission. When exercise becomes you, not exercising is like saying my name is NOT Alex Tellez.

BUT, I'm okay with that. Why? Because I am now coaching 6th grade girls basketball for my buddhist church. yes friends, this is the SAME buddhist church that I played basketball for and the SAME buddhist church my brother played basketball for. Simply put: this church has been a part of my life since an early age and that of my brother's. As such, I thought it fitting to give back to them and come full circle. And lemme tell ya..I'm LOVING the position of coach. These girls are fun, they laugh a lot [and horse around a lot!] but genuinely love the game. And that's refreshing in this day and age. And so while I have to tell them to silence the cell phones, clip their fingernails, put away the earings, and for gods sake shut that Justin Beiber kid up...the payoff comes in the joy of teaching youngsters about the game I so love. Stay tuned...our regular season begins in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment