Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Aiyah! 1.5 hours @ 308 Watts?

Admit it! You wouldn't immediately think: Scottish dude on a bike who can cycle and surf. Neither did I. Until we went up Tantalus Road....
Whoa! Dare I say the boy is getting there. Silly Weegan!

Un momento!!


For some reason, my legs felt really good yesterday so I figured I should go out there and give them a steady workout with some threshold work. That turned out to be a VERY GOOD IDEA. Now, in a triathlon, 'threshold' is n doubt in the pain cave but not in the red-zone. It's a very bearable state of unbearableness. That is, you can endure the suffering - albeit, not for too long! In the middle of this ride I threw in some quality attacks; specifically 12 attacks, each one over 15 sec in duration, each one at or near 660 watts. That felt pretty good too so safe to say the form is coming around. However, I cannot help but feel so compelled to get on the bike and just go back to cycling. Truth is, I love cycling and ya know, I don't think I'm shabby at it. Then again, I ain't chump change at running either ;-)

In other recent news Ms. Denise and I have been having fun trapsing around town, eating indian food and running [she's the runner though...I'm a runner in a cyclist's body]. Her, like many others, are getting used to sight of me using my iphone to check cyclingnews.com religiously. Another common site to see is legs propped up and watching La Vuelta A Espana on the internet-O [while wolfing down on bananas]. One thing that is very noticeable with me nowadays - more so now that I am a triathlate newbie - is how much I am sleeping. Getting over 7 hours of sleep doesn't cut it anymore and it seems like something along the lines of 8 hours would suffice. However, I also have a day job....

Speaking of day job, let me give a heartfelt congrats to my good friend and guy who mentored me up in cycling, Mike Z. He is a national champion for track cycling. How cool is that...to say I know one is pretty gnarly within itself...to say I got routinely humbled by one daily while on training rides is an entirely different story! It was also thanks to him that I got addicted to all things Above & Beyond [really good dance DJs] and Anjunabeats. So when you hear the headphones blaring with some Armin Van Buuren you know who to thank...

Well, that's all for this update. I threw down some so-so intervals on la biccicleta yesterday and now I have some V02 max shiete to do on the [running] track. Specifically, 8 x 400m sprints with each lap in the mid 60s. Ouch. I am also coaching girls basketball this fall for my buddshist church here so practice begins in October. Hmm...maybe I should read a book? Nah! Don't tell my dad though! Keep it real knuckleheads! goodnite Canada!

p.s. if you don't already have it, swing on over to iTunes and peep the new Armin Van Buuren CD mirage. I suggest the following songs: Coming Home and Not Giving Up on Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment