Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT


BIG ANNOUNCEMENT [in case you didn't see that in the title!]

I will be relocating from the beautiful, bikini-clad shores of Honolulu to the foggy and damp shores of San Francisco, CA on 12/31/09. As most of you readers know, I was severed from my job sometime in September and have been looking for jobs in Hawaii to no avail. Given these circumstances, I looked elsewhere and found a home working as a Senior Statistician at a company called Quality Planning. This group does risk analytics for car-insurance companies and I'll be on the research side.

Perks about it:
1) 22 days of PTO. Can you say Hello Hawaii in February!
2) Nice benefits plan
3) No aloha shirt and slacks.
4)...No slacks
5)...No slacks
6) Jeans and shirt = okay. tucked in = not required
7) Most importantly, it's interesting work! oh thank goodness!
8) Hours are fairly flexible. can take hours off the front and stay late, or come in early and leave early. Either way, it's nice that there are also work-from-home options too =)

And though I'm excited to push the re-start button, I will be leaving some awesome views and awesome friends behind in Hawaii. Thank god I'll be back often to race here. I owe so much to so many people that have helped me out. There are more names on that list than the US's terror watch list [and some of you belong on that list! =)]...errr...bad joke? nah. I left out the part about strapping-shit-to-undewear.

All in all, I am reluctant to admit that I'll be leaving the islands and quality friends here. To use a hackneyed line, "I found myself here". No, I really did though. I'm pretty sure I'm a cyclist who just so happens to run, rather than a runner that just so happens to cycle. But before this, I was a former-fat-ass-lard-slabbing-jelly-doughnut-yes-i'll-take-more-butter-on-my-biscuit kid. Now, I'm far from it and have no intentions of looking back. I'm going to take the next blog posts to recap some awesome memories about the islands I have and tips for those in Hawaii that want to know my favorite grinds.

"Leave the bike, ship the kale" =)
-Best said with a Scottish accent.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! That sounds prettttty exciting. I'm kind of jealous, I won't lie. Your flexible schedule sounds like it will be accomodating to your biking/running habits - which is all that really matters! In my book at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude! Yeah it's both exciting and not-so-exciting. The issue is it comes at a price. That price = leaving Hawaii. Some of the views and people here...sigh...let's just say there will be a mourning period.

    Outside that though, I'm pumped =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll miss you here, Alex! Keep blogging and hopefully you'll be living back here in the islands soon!

    ReplyDelete